Thursday, May 14, 2009

Maria by Jorge Isaacs

When it came time for me to decide what book I would read from from South America I had a very difficult time finding a book that seemed interesting and that fit the correct time period. While browsing through the World Literature-Mexico section of Amazon I happened to stumble across Maria by Jorge Isaacs. Not ever hearing of this book or author I decided to do some further research and read that it was an beautiful work that demonstrated the power of love. That is when I decided to give this book a chance -- I am glad that I did.

Indeed Maria is an amazing piece of literature that shows the force of love, just as promised by the reviewer. The story, which takes place in Colombia in the 1800's, follows the story of Efrain and Maria. The two young adults fall in love but due to Efrain's parents they are unable to be together until he returns home from school in Europe.

At first while reading the book I must admit that I wasn't enjoying it at all. However, after the first 40 pages I was hooked. I followed along as Efrain and Maria's relationship developed. Through all the tears, happiness, and love I was right there - a part of their relationship. The way Jorge Isaacs wrote the book made me feel like I was right there with them, experiencing the daily life in Colombia during the 19th century.

Overall, this book was better than I expected. I began reading this book just to fulfill the time period requirement but ended up really enjoying the novel. Jorge Isaacs only wrote one amazing and beautiful novel which is Maria.

No comments:

Post a Comment